Being a Big Q&A:
1. Who can be a Big?
Anyone can be a mentor. It is about starting a consistent friendship and inspiring positive change to empower children to believe they can achieve their dreams.
Big Brothers Big Sisters volunteers must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Make at least a one-year commitment to the program
- Meet with your Little Brother/Little Sister at least 2 times a month for 2-4 hours each time (Site-Based is 1 hour a week during the 9-month school year)
- Possess a valid social security number, driver’s license and current car insurance
- Have a safe driving record (no DUIs within the past three years; no more than two moving violations in the past year)
- Never been convicted of a felony
- No illegal drug use currently or within the last twelve months
2. What types of Programs are there to choose from?
Big Brothers Big Sisters of San Diego County provides one-to-one mentoring through three umbrellas of programming: (1) Community-based Mentoring, (2) Site-based Mentoring, and (3) Workplace-based Mentoring. Across programs, the foundational model remains the same: one child (“Little”) is intentionally “matched” with an adult volunteer (“Big”) in a long-term, professionally supported mentoring relationship.
Please visit our Programs page for more information on our specialized programs and initiatives.
3. I am interested in becoming a Big. What are the next steps?
If there are Littles waiting in your area, attend a one-hour Volunteer Info Session.
4. What happens after the Info Session?
You will be contacted to set up an in-person interview. Your interview will help our staff better understand your personalities, preferences and interests. We then:
- Conduct a background + DMV check
- Contact your references
- Have professional staff guide you step-by-step
5. When do I get matched with my new Little Brother or Sister?
Once a match is found, and you, the child and parent approve, you will then:
- Meet your new Little and his/her family with a trained agency staff member
- Meet your Match Support Specialist
- Receive ongoing mentor training opportunities
- Connect to other Big Brothers and Big Sisters in our SD Bigs Family through networking events and match events
Volunteering just a few hours a month with a child can start something amazing. So why not apply to be a Big today. There are kids out there ready to get started. Are you?
Still have questions? Please call (858) 536-4900 and one of our friendly staff will be happy to assist you.