Community Outreach Specialist
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt Full Time
Director of Marketing and Events
The primary function of this position is to support BBBS of SDC’s mission through the successful recruitment of volunteer Big Brothers and Big Sisters from the community to meet the growing needs of the one to one mentoring programs. The Community Outreach Specialist Lead will develop new leads of volunteers, sustain existing partnerships and ensure that individuals interested in Big Brothers Big Sisters receive timely and high quality customer service.
Performance Measures: This position will produce positive outcomes in the following areas: develop new partnerships, steward and maintain partner relationships, recruit quality volunteer inquiries, deliver effective presentations and develop and implement effective volunteer recruitment strategy.
- Effectively recruit volunteers primarily for Community-based, as well as Site-based programs as needed.
- Oversee Recruitment interns and volunteers to assure achievement of goals.
- Contribute to bi-annual recruitment strategy planning process.
- Research and develop new volunteer sources for recruitment of male and Spanish-speaking volunteers.
- Develop and steward ongoing partner relationships with targeted organizations, including board member and current volunteer corporations and businesses in order to facilitate the recruitment of volunteers.
- Schedule, attend and prepare materials for initial solicitation meetings; lead meetings when appropriate.
- Plan and conduct engaging and effective recruitment events, speaking opportunities, volunteer information sessions and Ambassadors Club meetings; prepare and send follow-up information in a timely manner.
- Liaison with all appropriate affinity groups, as assigned, to encourage volunteer participation and enhance the volunteer mentoring experience.
- In conjunction with Marketing and Communications staff, update agency information on all external websites or databases.
- Maintain central recruitment files and update materials as needed.
- Evaluate effectiveness of events and work to determine overall program recruitment success.
- Prepare monthly reports of recruitment activities and progress toward goals.
- Ensure that all volunteer inquiry calls and in-person contacts receive an engaging, positive and personalized recruitment response promoting BBBS programs.
- Respond to all volunteer inquiries within 24 hours of receipt. Assess volunteer “fit” to BBBS programs.
- Plan and conduct Volunteer Information Sessions (VIS).
- Enter all inquiries and pertinent data into AIM database, ensuring accuracy and timeliness of information entered.
- Persistently track and maintain recurring contact with potential volunteers who have not yet begun the enrollment process.
- Review and analyze progress to goal recruitment data.
- Identify and implement best practices to ensure most effective and efficient recruitment process.
- Ensure a high-level of proficiency and skill in applying child safety and risk management knowledge, policies and procedures throughout all aspects of job function. Identify child safety issues for volunteers, children and their families.
- Attend and assist with agency events where recruitment will take place.
- Assist with the agency’s administrative, marketing, and fundraising efforts as directed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Bachelor’s degree required; communications, business, marketing, social services, education, or related field preferred. Experience working in an outward facing (customer service or sales) role preferred; bi-lingual Spanish preffered. Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel. Must have advanced verbal and written communication skills as well as advanced presentation, interpersonal, and organizational skills reflecting solid customer service both in-person and by telephone.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Must be able to work independently without close management while contributing as a positive team member; possess a strong mission focus; must have flexibility in scheduling recruitment activities (evenings and weekends will often be required). Must have reliable transportation to get to designated meetings throughout the county. Excellent relational assessment skills; relate well in multicultural environments; maintain confidentiality throughout daily operations; effectively collaborate with other agency staff; use time effectively; and focus on details.
Routine office environment
Frequent Local travel required.
Ability to sit in meetings for long periods. Ability to work effectively using a personal computer for long periods. Ability to lift, carry, and transport program recruitment supplies (including agency canopy, recruitment table and chairs, recruitment materials).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and required skills. Contents may be subject to change at any time to meet the needs of the organization.