Big Brothers Big Sisters has a created a program to bridge the divide between police and the communities we serve. “Bigs with Badges” encourages law enforcement to volunteer as Big Brothers or Big Sisters in one-to-one relationships with youth ages 7 – 17, who need and want a mentor in their lives. Big Brothers Big Sisters believes that by fostering understanding, Bigs with Badges will improve community relations one meaningful relationship at a time.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Now more than ever, this program is critical to the success of communities across the nation. Bigs with Badges is a one-to-one mentoring program that connects our youth with law enforcement, building strong, trusting, lasting relationships. The result of these relationships can help build stronger bonds between law enforcement and the families they serve.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of San Diego County has partnered with the San Diego Police Department, under the leadership of Chief Zimmerman to offer SDPD Officers the opportunity to make a difference in the life a child.
FEATURED ON THE TODAY SHOW
Bigs with Badges creates real relationships that have positive outcomes for youth and for their communities. The story of Little Brother Robert and Big Brother Ryan, a detective with the Roanoke police department, was highlighted on the TODAY Show.
When you watch the video, you can see how Bigs with Badges builds mutual understanding and changes lives.
- Make a one year commitment
- Complete an interview; BBBS will conduct a background check with references
- Get together two times a month with your Little to do fun activities you both enjoy – hiking, eating pizza, playing catch at the park, catching a movie, or participating in BBBS or STAR PAL activities
- Once a match is found, and you, the child and parent/guardian approve, you will meet your new Little and his/her family with a trained BBBS staff member
- Receive ongoing Big Brothers Big Sisters professional staff support each month or more often to help guide you
- Participate in organized Big Brothers Big Sisters sponsored outings throughout the year (Phil’s BBQ Tailgate and Padres game, sailing, ice skating, hiking, etc.)
- Also in partnership with STAR/PAL, where Bigs with Badges matches can participate in ongoing special activities (surfing clinic, fishing derby, etc.)
LOCAL SUPPORTERS AND PARTNERS: